25 November 2010
Publications and References
As part of a current awareness and promotional strategy, DISC-UK
members have produced written articles and reports and presented
at a range of events dating back to 2005. In addition, key reports
and articles by other authors, related to our work are cited below under the two main headings of data support and data sharing.
See also the Collective Intelligence
for the Datashare Blog and social bookmarks relevant to the work
of DISC-UK and the DataShare project.
Publications | References on data support | References on data sharing
- MACDONALD, S., RICE, R. and SERAFIN, E. (2009). Collaboration to Curation: The High Rise Project meets Edinburgh DataShare. IT Futures Conference 2009. University of Edinburgh, 15 December, 2009. [presentation].
- MACDONALD, S. (2009). Edinburgh DataShare - A DSpace Data Repository: Achievements and Aspirations. Fedora UK&I&EU Meeting - Fedora-based e-Research environments. University of Oxford, 8 December 2009. [presentation].
- MACDONALD, S. (2009). Research Data Practice in the Life Sciences. UK e-Science All Hands Meeting 2009.
University of Oxford, 7 December 2009. [poster].
RICE, R. (2009). Open Data and Institutional Repositories. [Presentation.] 4th Conference on Open Access. University of Minho, Braga, Portugal: 26-27 November, 2009.
- WILLIAMS, R., PRYOR, G., BRUCE, A., MARSDEN, W. and MACDONALD, S. (2009). Patterns of Information Use and Exchange: Case Studies of Researchers in the Life Sciences. A Final Report to the Research Information Network.Research Information Network, Nov. 2009.
- RICE, R. (2009). Edinburgh DataShare: Tackling research data in a DSpace institutional repository [presentation]. DSpace User Group Meeting. Gothenburg, Sweden, 15 October, 2009.
- MACDONALD, S. and MARTINEZ-URIBE, L. (2009). User Engagement in Research Data Curation. ECDL 2009, Corfu, 30 September, 2009. [presentation].
- MACDONALD, S. and MARTINEZ-URIBE, L. (2009). User Engagement in Research Data Curation. Lecture Notes in Computer Science - Research in Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries, Volume 5714/2009.
- RICE, R. (2009). DISC-UK DataShare Project: Final Report. Edinburgh: University of Edinburgh, April 2009.
- GREEN, A., MACDONALD, S. and RICE, R. (2009). Policy-making for Research Data in Repositories - A Guide. DISC-UK, May, 2009.
- RICE, R. (2009). DISC-UK Datashare Project: Building Exemplars for Institutional Data Repositories in the UK. IASSIST Quarterly, 31 (3/4), Fall & Winter 2007.
- MARTINEZ-URIBE, L. (2009). Digital Repository Services for Managing Research Data: What Do Oxford Researchers Need? IASSIST Quarterly, 31 (3/4), Fall & Winter 2007.
- RICE, R. (2009) Lessons Learned from the DISC-UK DataShare and Data Audit Framework Implementation Projects [presentation]. Digital Curation Practice, Promise and Prospects (DIGCCUR) conference. Chapel Hill, North Carolina: 1-3 April, 2009.
- MACDONALD, S. (2009) The Strange Case of the Local Data Librarian - a Peculiarly Edinburgh Perspective! . ESDS - What's in it for librarians?, Royal Statistical Society, London, 13 February, 2009 [presentation].
- RICE, R. Roles and Responsibilities for Data Curation: the Data Librarian. Research Data Management Forum: Roles and Responsibilities for Effective Data Management, Manchester, 27 November, 2008 [presentation].
- MACDONALD, S. (2008) Open Data - Projects, Tools, Initiatives. Seminario Sobre Datasets Consorcio Madrono, UNED, Madrid, 17 November, 2008 [presentation].
- RICE, R., MACDONALD, S. and G. HAMILTON (2008)
Applying DC to Institutional Data Repositories. International Conference on Dublin Core and Metadata Applications (DC-2008) Berlin, 23-25 September, 2008 [poster and abstract].
- RICE, R. (2008)
Dublin Core for Datasets: DISC-UK Approach. Metadata for Scientific Datasets Workshop, Berlin, 25 September, 2008 [presentation].
- MACDONALD, S. (2008) Data Visualisation Tools: Part 2 - Spatial Data in a Web 2.0 Environment and Beyond. DISC-UK, September 2008.
- RICE, R. (2008) DISC-UK DataShare. ALISS Quarterly. Special Issue: Digital Repositories 3(4) July 2008.
- MACDONALD, S. (2008) Open Data, Open Minds - Web 2.0 Data Visualisation Tools. Repository Fringe, Edinburgh, 1 August, 2008 [presentation].
- MARTINEZ URIBE, L. (2008) Scoping Digital Repository Services for Research Data Management. Repository Fringe, Edinburgh, 31 July, 2008 [presentation].
- MACDONALD, S. (2008) DISC-UK DataShare. MIMAS Open Forum, Manchester, 9 July, 2008 [presentation].
- RICE, R. (2008) DataShare and Data Audit Framework Projects at Edinburgh. Research Data Management Workshop, Oxford, 13 June, 2008 [presentation].
- DESAI, T. (2008) Development of Remote Access Systems. IASSIST Conference - Technology of Data: Collection, Communication, Access and Preservation, Stanford, California, 28 May, 2008 [presentation].
- RICE, R. (2008) DISC-UK DataShare Project. IASSIST Conference - Technology of Data: Collection, Communication, Access and Preservation, Stanford, California, 28 May, 2008 [presentation].
- MACDONALD, S. (2008) Web 2.0 Data Visualisation Tools. IASSIST Conference - Technology of Data: Collection, Communication, Access and Preservation, Stanford, California, 28 May, 2008 [presentation].
- HYAMS, E. (2008)
Data Librarianship - A Gap in the Market. An interview with Stuart Macdonald and Luis Martinez Uribe.
CILIP Update, June 2008.
- MACDONALD, S. (2008) Open Data Utilities in a Web 2.0 Environment. Fourth International Conference on e-Social Science , 19-20 June 2008, Manchester [presentation].
- MARTINEZ, L. and MACDONALD, S. (2008) Un Nuevo Cometido para los Bibliotecarios Academicos: Data Curation. El Profesional de la Informacion, v.17, n. 3, May-June 2008.
- RICE, R. and GIBBS, H. (2008) From
Open Access to Open Data. Third International Conference on Open
Repositories 2008, 1-4 April 2008, Southampton [poster paper and abstract].
- MACDONALD, S. and MARTINEZ, L. (2008) Libraries in the Converging
Worlds of Open Data, E-research, and Web 2.0. Online, 32
- MARTINEZ, L. (2008) The Data
Documentation Initiative (DDI) and Institutional Repositories.
DISC-UK, February 2008.
- MACDONALD, S. (2008) Data Visualisation Tools: Part 1 - Numeric Data in a Web 2.0 Environment. DISC-UK, January 2008.
RICE, R., GREEN, A., and RUMSEY, S. (2007) DISC-UK
DataShare: Building Capacity for Institutional Data Repositories.
3rd International Digital Curation Centre conference, Washington,
DC, December 11-13 2007 [poster and abstract].
- RICE, R. (2007). Data Sharing Continuum, [Graphic]. DISC-UK, September, 2007.
- GIBBS, H. (2007)
DISC-UK DataShare: State-of-the-Art Review. DISC-UK, August 2007.
- MARTINEZ, L. and MACDONALD, S. (2007) Open
the Data Doors to Perception. Internet
Librarian International 2007: New Realities, Roles, Resources,
London, UK, October 8-9, 2007 [presentation].
- RICE, R., BURNHILL, P., REES, C, and ROBERTSON, A. (2007) Repository
Junction and Beyond at the EDINA (UK) National Data Centre. Research
and Advanced Technology for Digital Libraries: 11th European
Conference, ECDL 2007 Proceedings (September 2007) Budapest,
Hungary: Springer (pp 543-5) [Poster paper and actual
- RICE, R. (2007) DISC-UK
Response to RIN consultation: Stewardship of
Digital Research Data - Principles and Guidelines.
DISC-UK, 20 July [correspondence]. (See http://www.rin.ac.uk/data-principles
for RIN documents.)
- MACDONALD, S. and MARTINEZ, L. (2007) e-Research
and the Data Librarian. CURL/SCONUL Task
Force organised workshop Support
for e-Research: Filling the Library Skills Gap, CURL/SCONUL, Edinburgh, UK, June 14-15, 2007 [presentation].
- MARTINEZ, L. and MACDONALD, S. (2006) Supporting Users
of Electronic Data Resources in Research and Teaching.
e-Resources in Higher and Further
Education: Changes, challenges and choices, UKeiG seminar,
Manchester, UK, July 5, 2006 [presentation].
- RUSSELL, C. and MARTINEZ, L. (2006) Data Sans
Frontiers! Removing the barriers to data use. 2nd Data Workshop for European Librarians, Oxford, May 10, 2006 [presentation].
- MACDONALD, S. and MARTINEZ, L. (2005) Supporting Local
Data Users in the UK Academic Community. Ariadne, 44.
- MARTINEZ, L. and MACDONALD, S. (2005) Looking for Data Directions
in the UK? ASSIGN, 22, (4).
- BURNHILL, P., RICE, R. and GERACI, D. (2005) The Social Side
of Science Data Sharing: Distilling Past Efforts. Preserving Value, Royal
Society, Edinburgh, November 21-23, 2005[poster
- DESAI, T. RLab Data Service; MACDONALD, S. Data Support
Networks; MARTINEZ, L. LSE Data Library (2005). Nereus Workshop: Data
Library for Economics Researchers,
London, UK, September 19, 2005 [presentations].
- MACDONALD, S. and MARTINEZ, L. (2005) Supporting Local Data
Users in the UK Academic Community. IASSIST Quarterly,
- MARTINEZ, L. (2005) Using ESDS International
Databanks. MIMAS Open Forum, Manchester, UK, June 29, 2005 [presentation].
- MACDONALD, S. and MARTINEZ, L. (2005) Looking for
Data Directions? Ask a Data Librarian - a UK perspective. IASSIST/IFDO 2005: Evidence and Enlightenment,
Edinburgh, 26 May, 2005 [presentation].
... within UK tertiary education
- JONES, Sarah, BALL, Alexander & EKMEKCIOGLU, Çuna. The Data Augit Framework, a first step in the data management challenge.. International Journal of Digital Curation, Vol.3, No.2, 2008
- SWAN, A. and S. BROWN (2008) The Skills, Role and Career Structure of Data Scientists: An Assessment of Current Practice and Future Needs. July, 2008, London: Joint Information Systems Committee.
- RICE, R., BURNHILL, P., WRIGHT, M. and TOWNSEND, S. (2001) An
Enquiry into the Use of Numeric Data in Learning & Teaching:
Report and Recommendations for UK Higher Education. University of Edinburgh.
- RICE, R. (2000) Providing Local Data Support for Academic Data
Libraries. The Data Archive Bulletin, May 2000, 8-11.
- GADD, D. (1998) Promoting Networked Statistics at the University
of Plymouth. IRISS '98: Conference Papers.
- BRACKENBURY, S. (1997) Ways
of Supporting Data Use in the Social Sciences. Report from
Visits to UK and US Data Libraries.
London School of Economics.
- BURNHILL, P. (1985) Towards the Development of Data Libraries
in the UK. University of Edinburgh.
... and beyond
- GOLD, A. (2007). Cyberinfrastructure, Data, and Libraries, Part 2. Libraries and the Data Challenge: Roles and Actions for Libraries, D-Lib Magazine 13(9/10).
- GREEN, A. and GUTMAN, M. P. (2007) Building
Partnerships among Social Science Researchers, Institution-based
Repositories and Domain Specific Data Archives. OCLC Systems
and Services, 23 (1), 35-53. http://deepblue.lib.umich.edu/handle/2027.42/41214
[Open Access version]
- COOK, M. N., HERNANDEZ, J. J. and NICHOLSON, S. (2001) SPEC
Kit 263, Numeric Data Products and Services: Association
of Research Libraries Report.
[Table of Contents and Executive Summary only, online]
- WRIGHT, M. and GUY, L. (1997) Where Do I Find It and What
Do I Do with It: Practical Problem-solving in the Data Library.
IASSIST/IFDO: Data frontiers in the infoscape, Odense, Denmark, May
- JACOBS, J. (1991) Providing Data Services for Machine-readable
Information in an Academic Library: Some Levels of Service. The
Public-Access Computer Systems Review, 2 (1), 144-160.
- UKDA (2008) Manage and Share Data. October, 2008, Essex: UKDA.
- SWAN, A. and S. BROWN (2008) To Share or not to Share: Publication and Quality Assurance of Research Data Outputs. June, 2008, London: Research Information Network.
- SESINK, L., VAN HORIK, R. and H. HARMSEN (2008) Data Seal of Approval: Quality Guidelines for Digital Research Data in the Netherlands. May, 2008, The Hague: Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS).
- RIN (2008) Stewardship of Digital Research Data: a Framework
of Principles and Guidelines. January, 2008, London: RIN.
- POYNDER, R (2008). The Open Access Interviews: Peter Murray-Rust. Open and Shut [weblog]. January 21, 2008,
- COLES, S. (2007) The Repository for the Laboratory (R4L) Project.
D-Lib Magazine, 13 (3/4).
- LYON, L. (2007) Dealing with Data: Roles, Responsibilities
and Relationships, Consultancy Report. UKOLN.
- OECD (2007) OECD Principles and Guidelines for Access to
Research Data from Public Funding. OECD.
- PRYOR, G. (2007) Project StORe: Making the Connections for Research.
OCLC Systems and Services, 23 (1), 70-78.
- SMITH, R. S. (2007) Geospatial Data-sharing in UK Higher Education: Informal Repositories and Users Perspectives. University of Sheffield, UK.
- WAELDE, C. (2007) Geospatial databases and the research and
education sector in the UK: designing a licensing strategy for
sharing and re-use of data. EDINA.
- BURTON, G. (2006) The Source to Output Repository Project:
Social Science. London School of Economics.
- HEERY, R. and POWELL, A. (2006) Digital Repositories Roadmap:
Looking Forward (version 15). UKOLN/Eduserv Foundation.
- SUBER, P. (2006) Timeline of the Open Access Movement. The
SPARC Open Access Newsletter.
- NATIONAL SCIENCE BOARD (2005) Long-lived
Digital Data Collections: Enabling Research and Education
in the 21st Century. Washington, DC: National Science Foundation.
- O'REILLY, T. (2005) What is Web 2.0: Design patterns and
business models for the next generation of software.
- HEERY, R. and ANDERSON, S. (2005)
Digital Repositories Review.
- LAW, M. (2005) Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Issues in the Secondary Use of Research Data. IQ 29(1).
- OECD (2004) Ministerial Declaration on Access to Research
Data from Public Funding. Annex 1.
- OSI e-INFRASTRUCTURE WORKING GROUP (2004) Developing the UK's e-infrastructure for science and innovation. Office for Science and Innovation.
- ESDS (2000) Guidelines on Copyright and Confidentiality:
Legal Issues for Social Science Researchers. ESDS.
- HUMPHREY, C. K., ESTABROOKS, C. A., NORRIS, J. R., SMITH, J.
E. and HESKETH, L. (2000). Archivist on Board: Contributions to the Research Team. Forum Qualitative Sozialforschung / Forum:
Qualitative Social Research, 1 (3).